Mediterranean Diet Summary
• The Mediterranean diet is based on what people around the Mediterranean sea traditionally eat.
• Several studies have shown that this type of diet can lead to a longer, healthier life and reduced risk of chronic diseases.
• The diet focuses on eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, fish, extra virgin olive oil (eaten in moderation), cheese, eggs, yogurt and poultry.
• Red meats and processed foods should be avoided.
• Double check with your doctor to see if this type of diet could work for you.
What’s the Mediterranean diet? Why do so many doctors recommend it? The Mediterranean diet is based on the traditional foods that people around the Mediterranean sea eat.
Several studies have shown that these people live longer and healthier lives with very few risks to chronic diseases. Other studies have shown that the Mediterranean diet can promote weight loss and prevent heart attacks, strokes, type two diabetes and other diseases.
This is why doctors recommend this diet to give you a simple overview of the diet. Focus on eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, fish, and extra Virgin olive oil eaten in moderation, cheese, eggs, yogurt, and poultry.
Avoid eating added sugars and red meats, processed foods, refined grains and refined oils. As always double check with your doctor to see if this could be the change that you and your body need.
I’m Dr. David Long. That was the long story short.